Monday, June 9, 2008

Bison Bladders


whilst reading through all the articles about art just looking for something intersting to blog about I came across a rather short but really uh well im not sure what to call it. I'm not even sure how I feel about it really. The title is what had originally captivated me. Bison Bladders, now doesn't just strike some primeval nerve to explore this subject. The entire blog is based on this western artist that stayed out in the west and kept all his paint in a bison bladder. I don' Know wether to shudder or give this guy a metal for beating Bear Grylls at being resourceful. I honestly want to know how the hell this guy came up with this idea I really do. His entire aproach on art is very interesting my guess is that he did used the bison bladder to get more in tune with the very native american life that he was trying to portray in his paintings. I have heard that some of the artists of the eighteenth century would spend weeks inside the indian tribes just observing how they would live. I believe that some of their inspirations would come from the so called "peace pipe" and the spiratual visions would also influence the art that they would create. I guess that if i was a famous scupltor (as I had once dreamed of) I would probably do a lot crazier stuff to get inspiration.



George Catlin's paintings

1 comment:

dd adams said...

you can do more than this ... and better.